Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Shaydenism and The Glass Castle

Shaydenism
Last week I was working in our garden with the kids picking peas and lettuce. Gavon would only get the top little bit of the lettuce, but he sure had fun picking it and putting it in the bucket. There were a lot of flies, bugs and mosquitoes. I kept getting bit and said, "Ouch, these mosquitoes keep on biting me." With the biggest eyes, Shayden said, "Mosquitoes have teeth?!" I thought that was so funny.

The Glass Castle
I've been reading The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls. I absolutely love that book. I carry it around with me, and everywhere I go someone will say, "Isn't that the best book?" It's so interesting to me, and is worth reading over the dad's swearing. Kami let me borrow it, and she let my mom read it, who wanted to throw it across the room. Crystal read it, and my aunt and uncle Richard and Irene.

What a crazy way to live, but they love their kids so much. It's an interesting thing, because you want your kids to be as independent as possible, but wow. I'll have a lot more to say when I finish the book. I'm only 1/4 the way through.

4 comments:

Rory and Melissa Peterson said...

That is a really good book. It really makes you think.

SHEFFERS 'R' US said...

Our kids just learned about mosquito or "squito" bites too. So this story about Shayden just cracks me up! :)


-Julie

Angeli said...

You sure take care of the kids in all their learning experiences. I'm glad they have a Mom who takes care of them. The Glass Castle mom didn't do that. I did not like the book.

Levi and Kami's Blog said...

Shayden cracks me up. Mom cracks me up. You crack me up. I'm all cracked up!