Monday, October 11, 2010

Whole Wheat Bread/Chicken Marinade


5 cups Warm Water
2 Tbl. instant yeast
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup honey
1 Tbl. salt
3 Tbl. gluten
2 Tbl. dough enhancer
12 cups whole wheat flour

Mix all ingredients but only 6 cups flour until well mixed. Add rest of flour 1 cup at a time until dough cleans sides of bowl or forms ball you can knead. Mix in mixer or knead by hand 10 minutes. Divide into fourths and roll into loaves. Put into greased loaf pans. Let rise until double in size. Bake 25-30 minutes at 350 Degrees. Remove from pans and allow to cool.

I finally figured this bread recipe out! I'm all excited about it, because I've tried and tried but only started getting successful a few batches ago. By far the most important thing is the flour. It is only the absolute best if you grind it right before you mix it together. I don't think a few hours will matter, but a few days later, the flour will not taste the same. My father-in-law gave me a wheat grinder, and I now use it all the time. Mmmmm...it makes the best wheat flour. This makes 4 loaves, and I slice it up and freeze it so we only have out what we'll use that day. It only stays real yummy for a day or so at room temperature. It usually takes my loaves about an hour to double in size, and it takes my oven 35 minutes to bake all the way instead of 30.

Gavon likes to pretend to eat things off of tables/books/empty plates, so here he is modeling some invisible bread. I'll have to post a picture of the real thing later.

Also here is my favorite chicken marinade:

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. basil
1 tsp. garlic
salt
pepper
Combine all ingredients. Marinate 4 large or 6 small chicken breast at least 1 hour before grilling (I've done as little as 1/2 hour). Does not need to sit overnight. Also great for steak.

1 comment:

Angeli said...

Thanks Raychel. It's a little different than Lenna's so I'll give this one a try. Yesterday's bread turned out better than before, but it got a little too crusty on the bottom. I like slicing it before freezing it too. Good ideas! Gavon is hilarious.