Thursday, January 20, 2011

Breastfeeding Ashlin

It's crazy how different each child is. Shayden and Gavon were great nursers. Ashlin's been doing good, but I found out her tongue isn't down and out all the way. Almost every time she nurses, she "smacks" after every swallow. She's getting enough milk and I'm not sore, but it's just kind of annoying to her and to me. A lactation consultant came and taught me how to reteach her to suck with her tongue sticking further out. It's been kind of frustrating to her, but you're supposed to stick your finger in her mouth and have her suck while pushing her tongue out. We'll see if that fixes it.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm glad you had a chance to talk to a consultant about it, and I hope the advice works! Breastfeeding is so nice. I'm glad you've had good nursing babies.

Angeli said...

You are doing a lot for her. I'm glad you get to have such good help up there.

Anonymous said...

Make sure she doesn't need the thing under her tongue Clipped this happened to my friends child and she couldn't nurse right until the doctor fixed it.

Rory and Melissa Peterson said...

Who was your lactation consultant? Did you like her? I have a cousin in Logan who just had her first and is having a terrible time nursing.