Friday, May 29, 2009

Garden


We finally got our garden in. Paul bought some 2X4's and built a frame to hold some tomato plants upside down. Cool! The tomatoes I grew from seed all died. I think I waited a month too long to plant them because they weren't as big as they should have been. Only half the peas came up...the ones closest to the house survived. We have watermelon, tomatoes, squash, basil, and parsley. Shay got to our oregano.

On Shayden's birthday, a little nest of robins hatched in our neighbor's yard. They are so cute! It's been fun to watch them from our back yard.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

That is super cool! I hope it works really well for you, and you get tons of gorgeous, juicy, red tomatoes. mmmm, makes me drool just thinking about it.

Sarah Titus Jones said...

I've never heard of planting tomatoes upside down...is that supposed to help?

Raychel said...

I don't think it's supposed to help, but it works and looks cool. Well, we'll see if ours work.

Angeli said...

Way to go Paul. I have never seen this done before either. That looks like it would be an interesting up side down garden.

steveandemilee said...

Hi Raychel, I couldn't help but diagnose the peas--if the ones closest to the house made it, that means a possibility of one of two things: a. they were slightly warmer and protected next to the house or b. they had better water regulation, maybe due to the eaves, since they don't like tons of water.

Did you get the tomato idea from the 'topsy-turvy' thing? I always wanted to just try it, but I haven't gotten around to it! Sounds like you have an awesome garden going!