Thursday, November 19, 2009

This Will Haunt Me

The last few days I haven't gone running, even though the weather has been great for running. I don't feel as happy, or as healthy. Well, today I was determined to go, and this guy stopped me a half mile from home. He looked really dirty and was holding a cigarette. He said, "Hey lady! Can you help me?" I stopped, because I had to pass 1000 W, a really busy road. After pushing the cross walk light, I said, "Sure." and he came closer to me, but I said, "Stay back." He started rummaging through his pockets and said, "Where's 150 West?" I said "I have to cross. The light is turning. It's that way, toward main st." He still couldn't find the paper with the exact address, then said, "The Dept. of Workforce Services, where is that?" By that time the light was starting to turn again and I didn't want to have to wait for a whole new light so I started running away, and said, "It's that way!" I didn't even look back. I feel pretty bad about it, because I knew exactly where he needed to go, and didn't even bother yelling him directions across a busy road.

That's weird because even before I ran into that dirty guy I was thinking about how Dad brought this guy home from church for Sunday dinner in Panguitch once, and how he smelled so bad we opened all the windows and doors and we were still gagging. He lived down by the river and used only baking soda for hygiene. Dad just happened to make friends with him at Priesthood. And then I ran into that guy and totally avoided him. Hmmm...not so nice. I'm going to run into him in the after life, and he'll be sad.

1 comment:

steveandemilee said...

Raychel, I think you made a good decision. Hear me out--I was actually thinking about this quite a bit! I am impressed that you told him to "stay back". I know I am way too trusting, and especially being a woman when you're by yourself, you have to watch out and have a plan, because bad things do happen. And your husband and kids need you to be safe--so it's better to be sure you're not putting yourself in a dangerous position. It was different with your dad; he knew he could handle the situation if things got sticky, I'm sure. Heavenly Father wants us to be prudent and I think your being careful is certainly justified.