Saturday, July 11, 2009

While Swimming, Protect Yourself and Others

Without the help of swimmers themselves, even the best-maintained pools can spread germs.

*Don't swim when you have diarrhea. Germs are spread in the water that make other people sick.
*Don't swallow pool water. Avoid getting water in your mouth.
*Practice good hygiene. Shower with soap before swimming and after using the toilet or changing diapers. Germs on your body end up in the water.

If your a parent,
*Take your kids on bathroom breaks, and check diapers often.
*Change diapers in a bathroom or in a diaper changing area, not at the poolside. Germs spread in and around the pool.
*Wash your children thoroughly (especially the rear end) with soap and water before they go swimming.

Chlorine takes time to kill germs.

Okay, so your wondering, "Why is Raychel posting this?"

Because I feel like the worst parent ever!!! On the 3rd of July I woke up feeling nauseated and Shayden had woken up with throw up in her hair and on her pillow the night before. It felt like food poisoning, which it probably was. It went through my breastmilk to Gavon, and he threw up throughout the night. Paul didn't get it...maybe he has a stronger stomach from the D.R.? I threw up all that day, and we were sad we had to cancel our 4th of July plans and miss the parade with Sheila and Jordan. I basically sat on the grass in the back yard with the kids and gave Shayden popsicles. On the 4th of July I woke up feeling slightly better, but not well enough to run the 10k in Riverton, but we drove down anyway. That day we went swimming with Jon and Lynette and Kit with Carson, Caelee and Gerick...bad idea. It didn't even occur to me that Shay had diarrhea. We didn't swim for that long. 3 days later Lee had his pool party in his back yard. It's strange how I thought to myself it would be okay. Anyone that was in the water that day got super sick; nausea, vomiting diarrhea. Even the people that held the kids that got out of the water got sick. Here's a running totally of everyone that got sick:

Kit, Jennifer, Lynette, Jon, Carson, Caelee, Gerick, innocent bystanders at the pool, my mom, Kami, Lisa, Annalisa, Karri, Autumn, Hunter, Dillon, Crystal.... Lee was a miracle child. He was the only one that didn't get it bad. Maybe because it was his birthday? Thank goodness Axton hated the water, huh?

DO NOT let your child or yourself go swimming while being sick. It's not cool.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Raychel, we love you and don't blame anybody--especially not you--for being sick. I gave both my kids a good bath after getting out of the pool and we were as careful as we could be. Sometimes these bugs just float around, no matter how hard you try. But those are super good tips about swimming.

Levi and Kami's Blog said...

Raychel...I love you! I love all the information and how smart you are. That's a lot of people who were sick...but I'm feeling worse for you. You got sick, missed the 4th, and got other's sick so you feel all guilty like forever. (It's almost funny, but not really.) I think I was meant to get sick because I got my system all cleaned out (yes...I just said that in public) and I needed a dose of humility because I sure was all high and mighty. There's nothing like a good old sickness to make you pray a little more. So what I'm saying is, Thanks!! I appreciate it...really!! :) He he ha ha!!!

Angeli said...

Bugs are bugs, they are everywhere. You can borrow some pepto bismal if you get sick again. We all got over it. We're good now, and the party was a blast.